Sunday, September 13, 2009

"They band together against the righteous and condemn the innocent to death." - Psalm 94:21

MOVIE REVIEWS:

Premiere of Summit Entertainments Sorority Row - Arrivals

So my car has been in the shop for the last week, so I decided to walk to nine or so miles today to see a double feature. Both films that I saw were grim, dark, and sort of pointless, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

"Sorority Row" is the latest in the "put college kids into a setting where they get killed one by one" genre, and it starts more creatively than most films of it's kind. When a prank goes terribly wrong, a group of sorority sisters make a pact to keep the accidental death of one of their own a secret. But of course, pretty girls will talk, and there begins the tale. When the girls and their friends begin turning up dead, there are a million suspects - including the dead girl. The plot serves only to weave in one death after another, but I must say, for my money I laughed out loud more than once and was mildly entertained. It's gory, it's disgusting, and it's really not worth seeing unless you like horror movies, but overall I would give it * * out of * * * *.

"9", being a film on my "Five Films to See This Fall" list, is a brilliantly animated, yet curiously boring film from, among others, Tim Burton. If even half of the time they spent bringing these characters to life was spent on developing a story for said characters, we would have had something truly special. The film is beautiful to look at, but there is really else (kind of like some people I know.). The weak story involves puppet creatures trying to destroy a machine - there's the story in a nutshell. I would give "9" * * 1/2 out of * * * *.

Peace and happy movie-watching!

1 comment:

  1. I have had undecided feelings on whether or not to see "Sorority Row". I am not a big fan of horror movies, but I'm a fan of Audrina Patridge, who plays the dead girl.

    Some movies that I am looking forward to that are coming out this week include "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" and "Love Happens". I was a fan of the book "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" when I was younger (and my sister, aged 8-and-a-half, thinks it's a good book too), and now that it's being adapted for the big screen, I wanna watch it. And Love Happens stars Jennifer Aniston, one of my favorite actresses. And I'm always up for a good romantic movie. If I do see one of those movies (or any other movie) the review will be on my blog (click my name).

    Peace out,
    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete