Saturday, September 12, 2009

"Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit." - Matthew 7:17


Special New York screening of Tyler Perrys I Can Do Bad All By MyselfExtract Premiere


Sorry folks for the two week gap between this normally loyal blogger. There has been so much going on in my life lately - some good, some bad - that I just needed a break. Things are good now, so I thought I would give you .....

MOVIE REVIEWS:

Tyler Perry has created for himself a niche film empire that is both maddeningly successful and ridiculously cheesy. That being said, if you go to see one of his movies, and watch the film from the heart instead of from the brain, a TP movie can be a rewarding, enjoyable experience. "I Can Do Bad All By Myself" is the latest the collection of Perry's films that made me wish for a slightly more polished script, but still left me feeling happy. The story centers around a woman who has turned to alcohol and an abusive boyfriend to fill the voids in her life, and when her three nephews literally show up on her doorstep, how she deals with this drastic shift.
Unlike most other TP films, this one has multiple musical numbers which are really entertaining, with Mary J. Blige's singing of the title song leading the way as most impressive. I was not a fan of the ending - the film took it's time to tell the story but then quickly wrapped things together in an almost "roll your eyes" manner. That being said, I am not sorry to have seen this - I would give "ICDBABM" * * * of * * * *.

Ten years ago, the film "Office Space" hit theaters, and totally failed to find an audience. On DVD however, the film took on a life of it's own, and is now a comedy classic. I am one of the millions of fans who own the DVD, and quote the film often. From "Someone has a case of the Mondays" to "Pieces of Flair" to "TPS Reports" to "Um, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhh", the film is probably the most quotable comedy of all time. Mike Judge waited ten years and then released his new movie upon us all. I was so excited about the release of this movie, thinking"if they've waited so long to create something new, they must be waiting to get everything just right." So I went to see "Extract" on it's opening weekend, excited, ready to laugh, and well, it sucked. It just really wasn't funny. There were a few good moments, but I mean, when you have such a great cast and such a great writer, you just expect to laugh more than just the scenes you've already laughed at while watching the trailer. I'm not going to get into it, but bottom line is wait for DVD to catch the couple amusing moments, but don't get your hopes up. I would give "Extract" * * out of * * * *.

No comments:

Post a Comment