Monday, March 22, 2010

"Better a meal of vegetables where there is love than a fattened calf with hatred." - Proverbs 15:17

I have eaten meat one time since last Thanksgiving. If you had told me a year ago that I would practically be living the dietary life of a vegetarian, I would have thought you were insane. I love(d?) burgers, meatball & pepper pizza, bacon, and, well, bacon. Then I saw the movie "Food, Inc.", and while it alone did not sway my eating habits, it kind of visualized a lot of the things I had been struggling with in the past. I guess the movie was the feather that broke the camel's back.

I still truly do believe that humans have the right to eat animals. From both a religious and a just a social standpoint, there is nothing evil about being a carnivore. I may eat meat once again - I have actually been careful not to label myself a 'vegetarian' to anyone, because I don't want to feel guilty if I get the sudden urge to eat a chicken nugget or a turkey sandwich. To me it's not about killing an animal, it's about the cruelty that leads up to the animal's death. It's about the crap that is in the meat that could make me sick. It's about the disgusting companies tantamount to the big oil folks who are manipulating what we eat solely for profits and not worrying about the well-being of others.

When I decided to lose weight, in less than a year I shed 90 pounds. When I set my mind to doing something where I am the only thing in the way, I achieve it. Maybe that's why I wanted to play around with vegetarianism - and stop short of labeling myself with that title. We'll see how it goes, but I would encourage you to watch "Food, Inc." if you've been thinking about trying out eating less or no meat. Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment