Saturday, March 27, 2010

"The empty-headed treat life as a plaything; the perceptive grasp its meaning and make a go of it." - Proverbs 15:21

It's a really nice Saturday morning, and I'm here on my laptop with a movie on in the background - the movie "Away We Go" to be exact. Now, if you've followed my blog, my Facebook, or my Flixster, you know I love that movie - this is about the sixth time I've watched it. It got me thinking - what is it about the movie that has me putting it in so often. A co-worker of mine went to see the movie "Couples Retreat" in theaters and told me that she loved it. I watched it on DVD and thought it was one of the worst comedies I've seen in a long time. To be fair, numerous critics, and my dad for that matter, HATED "Away We Go." I began thinking what is it about movies in general that makes one of us love them and another of us hate the same one?

The conclusion I've come to is that movies hit people at different moments in their lives. "Away We Go" is about a young couple trying to find the perfect place to start a family. Maybe for someone like my dad it's not something that concerns him so it just seems pretentious. Starting a family is still something that remains ahead of me, so it's interesting and entertaining for me to watch it depicted on film. I'm not in (or in need of) couples therapy so maybe I don't get the humor in a movie like "Couples Retreat" (although I still think it's lousy). I mean how many movies did you watch as a little kid and think what you were watching was AMAZING only to revisit as an adult and wonder how you ever liked something so silly (for me, it was the Disney TV movie "Cheetah). Maybe in ten years or so "Away We Go" won't be in my DVD player as often - but hopefully I still won't find "Couples Retreat" funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment