Monday, August 31, 2009

"Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth." - 1 Corinthians 13:6

MOVIE REVIEW:

The Ugly Truth European Premiere - London

I'll admit it now. I have a crush on Katherine Heigl. I love her on television, I loved "Knocked Up", and I didn't mind "27 Dresses." Her latest movie, "The Ugly Truth", proved that a crush can only go so far when putting up with a bad movie. One of my favorite settings for a movie is the broadcasting/news industry, but even that setting and Heigl couldn't save this film. With a script full of hokey dialogue, and about as much character development as a three panelled weekday comic strip, this movie is just plain ugly.

Wanting to be a cross between "Cyrano de Bergerac" and "Anchorman", this film fails to deliver anything but an occasional smile, and a whole lot of watch checking. Heigl plays a producer whose show is in trouble due to lack of viewership. To stir things up, her superiors bring in Gerard Butler's character - a shock television personality who is about as politically correct as Jerry Springer. He basically just uses questionable language and talks about sex to boost ratings, and I didn't buy it for a second.

There are no characters we really can cheer for as the script puts them in such one-dimensional situations that we've all seen before. I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie until it's out on DVD. When you rent it, you just need to fast forward until you see a baseball game scene, and look for the jumbotron camera operator...you'll recognize this person as Bobaloo from "I Survived a Japanese Game Show!" That was seriously the best part of the movie for me. So *1/2 out of **** for the movie, and Bobaloo accounts for that half star. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. I saw "The Ugly Truth" last July when I was visiting my family. Now you and I have slightly different tastes in movies, and I personally enjoyed the movie.

    Katherine Heigl is one of my favorite actresses, so anything that she's in I gotta go see. Her character on Grey's Anatomy and I have a lot in common, so that's one reason why I enjoy her.

    I'll post a review of the next movie I see on my blog (just click my name).

    Peace out,
    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete