Friday, July 10, 2009

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." - Romans 15:4

Today at work I was asked to imagine what the library I work in would be like in ten years. The exercise was part of a branding company workshop that the library felt it was necessary to bring in. As this is a public blog, I am going to keep this professional when I say I did not enjoy this exercise. When I saw the library in ten years, I wasn't going into "Imagination Land" like the presenter had the audacity to suggest, but instead I fell into a panicked state of "Holy crap, will this building even be open then!?" I want to think the library will continue to be a vibrant and bustling center for education and recreation, but without the support of more people in town, I fear that is a dream that may never be realized. I am not a pessimist, but instead a realist. I love libraries. I have worked in them on and off for nearing ten years now. I remember going to the library at a very young age and being in awe at all they had to offer. There is something so important about libraries and their role in the community, so it tears me up inside when I see towns devaluing these centers and deeming them a "luxury" instead of a necessity. I could write for hours upon hours on all the library has to offer, but I want to avoid being overly detailed and preachy. If you haven't been to your local library in a while, go today. Go utilize the resources - many of which you may not even realize they have. Go lend a hand if you have the time. Simply, go while you still can.

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunatley, Fahrenheit 451 may be a glimpse of what the future may hold with everyone glued to a television with books and libraries obsolete. Good post Dan. Keep youth interested so that does not happen.

    ReplyDelete