Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb." - Psalm 139:13

Fox recently announced they are going to stop the planned airing of an episode of Family Guy that they originally ordered for the network. The episode involves the hot-button topic of abortion. You can read the full story here. I am left scratching my head for two reasons - one, why would Fox stop this episode when they have let numerous other offensive things into that show (anytime Jesus or God in animated form comes into the show, I change the channel), and two, who out there that watches FG would stop watching because of the topic of the episode. I would watch. I have always said that the issue of abortion is the issue that keeps me from calling myself a proud democrat - I cannot believe preventing/ending a life is even an issue anymore. I am certain FG couldn't change my stance if they tried, but why come down of the episode before we've seen it. I will defend the show's right to say whatever the heck they want. The 1970s show All in the Family was all about breaking barriers and making people uncomfortable.

Even if Family Guy took a pro-abortion stance, it would get more people talking, and I would like to think people as a whole are smart enough to realize that taking a pro-abortion stance in this scientific day in age is sheer stupidity. Debbie Kaufman from the show "I Survived a Japanese Game Show" and I got into a heated debate about the topic. I love hearing pro-abortion advocates state their case - they sound so incredibly foolish and selfish. "There's no heartbeat by this time", "It's just a fetus", "It's my right", "You wouldn't know, you're a man" are just a handful of responses. Let's break those down:

"There's no heartbeat by this time." - I'm not sure the exact day a fetus gets a heartbeat, but does that even matter? Knowing something is going to get a heartbeat, and preventing it from getting said heartbeat is pure evil, in my humble opinion.

"It's just a fetus" - When I was in high school, a speaker came to talk at an assembly. She was the victim of a botched abortion. She tackled this statement the best I have heard it argued. She said that if you were to scrape out the woman's womb, and put it's contents on mars, you wouldn't hear news stories saying anything but "LIFE found on Mars."

"It's my right"- Technically, you are correct. Technically abortion is the only legal form of murder left in the country. When laws about abortion came into place, there was enough evidence to know it was murder, but now, in 2009, there is so much more evidence proving how early into conception the fetus is alive. And why is it if our laws state abortion is a woman's right, why when a woman who is pregnant is murdered, the killer in question is charged with a double murder?

"You wouldn't know, you're a man." If that is true, than I guess I don't understand that the Holocaust was evil as I'm not a Jew. I guess slavery might have been cool because I'm not black. I guess breast cancer is a cause I shouldn't walk for because I don't have boobs. Are you kidding me? Just because I don't have the ability to kill something, doesn't automatically cut me out of the discussion.

So that's my abortion rant - it might not be eloquent - it's early in the AM, but you get my stance. I welcome any comments. And see, I never would have posted this if Stewie Griffin and the gang at FG hadn't provoked me.

6 comments:

  1. I have always considered myself a Democrat with moderate views. One of the reasons I consider myself that is because of the issue of abortion.

    The rest of my family is pro-choice, while I am pro-life. I just think it's wrong to kill a life. And it's a life from the moment it is concieved.

    I did a blog earlier this month stating my stance on teen pregnancy if you would like to read it (just click on my name in the comment and it'll lead you to my blog). And if girls at my age (I'm 19) are complaning about being pregnant, they should have been more careful.

    Looking forward to ISAJGS tomorrow, and to what you share with us next,
    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Dan,

    I think you already know my stance on abortion...I posted a facebook note about that issue some time last year.

    I thought I was already a die-hard pro-life advocate, however, after reading this blog, you have pushed me even further TOWARDS pro-life.
    Outstanding points!!! Your thoughts were simple, yet powerful!!! I honestly don't know how anyone could defend abortion after reading this.

    -Diana Faruqui

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although my stance on the topic is different than yours, I like that you support the free speech on the topic anyways! I think this will always be a difficult debate, and either way people should be allowed to voice their opinion even if its as dirty as South Park or Family guy usually is. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abortion is not a black and white issue and only the woman concerned and her doctor can make a decision. I am sure it is a heart-wrenching decision and all that reasonable people are saying is that the government cannot make laws banning abortion as each case has to be approached as a unique one, and as stated earlier, only the woman and her doctor can decide what is the best solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But Priya, some don't see ending a life as a black and white issue. If one believes life begins at conception (like I do), then abortion is murder. The only time where abortion, in my mind, is acceptable, is if it comes down to a decision of saving the baby's life or the mother's. In that case it's tragic, but not premeditated. You don't like laws banning abortion, but what are your thoughts on laws banning murder? Suicide? Rape? Theft? Laws should be made to protect - I am all about rights for everyone...women have the right not get pregnant when they don't have plans for a baby, a fetus has the right to see the light of day outside the womb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pro-lifers are often religious, believing all life is sacred while they stand under the "It's Murder" banner, happily to quoting Bible verses, knowing God's got their back. Pro-choicers are so scared to be politically incorrect they quickly back down from controversial subjects, quietly thinking "it's not worth arguing with right-wing fundamentalists".

    The truth is it really comes down to science vs. religion. Which is why the controversy and debates will never end but in frustration and smugness.

    We've all heard the religious, so here's the science:

    The small collection of cells that Pro-Lifers are so desperate to give human rights to have haphazard life cycles. Cells are programmed to live and die, they aren't conscious beings vying to survive. They don't know they are cells, they just follow your body's instructions. If the instructions were to go to an injury and help heal it, the cell would go. If the instruction was to be part of sperm, which then got ejaculated out, the cell would die in that kleenex. To give human rights to a collection of cells with no body, no brain, and no human features is just as off the mark as giving human rights to skin cells and banning the practice of tanning.

    I am of the science persuasion. The bible never directly mentions abortion, but most of the ambiguous quotes regarding life are bent by Pro-Lifers to indicate an abortion would be against God's will. Though unless I'm much mistaken, the Bible was not written by God. It did not fall out of the clouds, nor was it found under a tree and translated in a hat. It's a collection of religious stories and cautionary tales written by men who told those stories from their point of view.

    God gave us free will, and a truly good person who finds themselves faced with a tough decision should not be looked down upon by anyone.

    We will never agree on this and truthfully - we are all wrong. The only person who is right is the one making their own decision, whatever it may be, when in the situation.

    S

    ReplyDelete