Saturday, July 18, 2009

"The wise inherit honor, but fools he holds up to shame." - Proverbs 3:35

Celebrities on location for 30 Rock in the Upper West Side

This past week the Emmy award nominations were revealed, and well, my favorite shows did very well! When you're a single guy like me, you watch a heck of a lot of television. My favorite two shows, "30 Rock" and "The Amazing Race", got the love they deserved. "30 Rock" actually set an Emmy record of 22 nods in a single year. All of the primary go-to-for-a-laugh characters were honored with a nomination in their respective catergories, and even guest stars like Jennifer Aniston and Steve Martin made the cut. "Family Guy", one of the smartest shows on television that people either love or hate became the second every animated show to get nominated in the best comedy category. The only other animated show to get that honor was "The Flintstones" - which surprised me as I thought that "The Simpsons" must have somewhere along the line, but no. Another long time favorite of mine, "How I Met Your Mother", finally got a nomination for best comedy series - but in my opinion, it got this honor the first year it didn't deserve it. Oh well, it's still nice to see it included. One MAJOR snub of note - no nomination for "I Survived a Japanese Game Show." Oh well. Next year, haha. While I was honestly not shocked "ISAJGS" wasn't chosen in the best reality competition program category, what's with all the love for "American Idol?" I watch every episode, but from a techincal standpoint, it's really just a glorified karaoke competition. While genuine talent does surface, that has more to do with the specific person/artist as opposed to the production elements of the show. I think "Survivor" or "ISAJGS" would have filled that slot better. I was also hoping Rome Kanda would get a nomination for his hosting work on "ISAJGS." Before I was on the show, I didn't know what to expect with him. When we met him in person upon arrival at the Majide set, we got to know him as the warm, friendly, talented individual he is. He works so hard, and I would have been thrilled had he been included in the hosting category. As far as the dramas go, I am guilty when I say I don't follow any of those shows. I watched "Lost" for a season and a half and grew impatient, although now I hear it's excellent. "Dexter" made me sick to my stomach. "House" is a show I think I would like, and actually own two seasons on DVD but haven't had the time to get around to them. I recently tried getting into "Big Love" but couldn't (sorry Tara!). "Mad Men" is a show I have been wanting to see for quite some time, again, just haven't gotten the chance to catch it, and the other two nominees, "Damages" and "Breaking Bad" have not crossed my path yet. I guess when I watch television I'm doing it more for the entertainment value with comedies and reality, as opposed to looking for a thought provoking challenge in dramas out there today. I was a big fan of "Dirty Sexy Money" but that got the axe. I like "Grey's Anatomy" a lot, but I saw none of last season - waiting for the DVD. Lately though even that show has become more of a soap. I watched that show "Private Practice" for a little while, and loved the medical/moral dilemmas but could not STAND everything else in the show. Oh well. What do you watch? What are your favorites? Peace!

2 comments:

  1. I am so hooked on Big Love. I wasn't really expecting it to be as good as it was. It's one of those shows that also gets way better with the 2nd and 3rd seasons. Do you watch Weeds? My other favorite "movie channel" show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I share a lot of the same fave TV shows! "Family Guy" is really funny (my friend Cora and I were quoting it the other day just for laughs), "Survivor" is amazing, "American Idol" is good, and "Grey's Anatomy" is amazing (but, like you, I haven't watched last season and plan on buying it on DVD).

    My other favorite shows include "16 and Pregnant" on MTV (VERY incredible, if you happen to catch a re-run, please watch!), "ISAJGS" (of course!), "Paris Hilton's My New BFF" (just for the kicks), and this fall I plan on watching "The Hills".

    I'm a single girl, so I watch a lot of TV and movies and read lots of books (there are still several I have to read!).

    You rock! Looking forward to next week's episode!

    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete