Sunday, August 23, 2009

"As for the saints who are in the land, they are the glorious ones in whom is all my delight." - Psalm 16:3

FILM REVIEWS:


Premiere Of Weinstein Co. Inglourious Basterds - Arrivals


Let me just get this out of the way right now: 'Inglorious Basterds" is one of the most entertaining 2 1/2 hours at the movies I've had all year. Quentin Tarantino again constructs a complex, unique, and multi-layered story that unfolds chapter style. This time, the tale is about a group of rag-tag Jews who are sent into Nazi-occupied France to wreak havoc on German soldiers. Led by Lt. Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt), the "basterds" are a take-no-prisoners bunch who don't just do their job well, but enjoy scalping, dismembering, and bashing in the heads of Nazi soldiers. The film jumps between this storyline and that of a young Jewish girl whose family is slaughtered and her plan for revenge. There are twists, turns, and more shocks that I can or would want to list. While brutally violent at times, anyone of age could see the film as a majority of the violent moments one can see coming in time to squint. Every element of this movie is top-notch - so I would highly recommend it. It's one of the years best films. * * * * of * * * *.

Now on to a movie that is less of a joy to watch. "District 9" is a alien tale told in a very new way. Playing out it's narrative in documentary style, the story is intriguing until it wears out it's welcome. Some of the movie is riveting, while other portions feel like you're stuck watching someone else playing a video game. The movie was almost two-hours long, but could have been almost half that and remained just as effective. While every alien movie involves suspending reality, this one pushes it as it takes itself too seriously. I don't want to sound too harsh as I did appreciate much of what the makers were doing here. I just would have liked to see a little more character development and less violence. Brutal violence doesn't bother me if it aides to the story (like "Inglorious Basterds) but they go a little too far in this film. About six people walked out of the showing I was at, and I was left feeling a little sick to my stomach. That aside, if your stomach is made of iron, I would suggest seeing this. * * * of * * * *.

Happy movie watching everyone! Peace.

2 comments:

  1. In response to your most recent post, I believe that a combination of these elements is responsible for the moral discontent that grips today's society. As a strong proponent of ethical standards, I believe that the film and television industry should stand and promote those standards once prevalent in earlier generations, standards that modern society, especially members of youthful society, unfortunately lack. Instead of focusing on lewd, profane, and violent themes, which certainly need not be added to extend a film's overall quality, filmmakers and executives should focus on themes aimed to advance the well-beings of both old and young, not only providing quality entertainment, but quality education as well.

    Thank you,
    Singer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your opinion 'Anonymous', and somewhat agree with you. While I feel there are some films that resort to lewd and violent content without warrant, others I feel do it artistically and effectively. I believe what it really comes down to is parenting. Youths wouldn't be effected by these films if their parents just told them not to see them. Until I was 17 or 18, I wasn't allowed to see any rated R and many PG-13 movies unless my parents had screened them first. I feel movies like "Schindler's List", "The Passion of the Christ", and "Black Hawk Down" to name a few, used violence in a way that aides to the story. Films like "Knocked Up" and "The Hangover", for a couple of examples, tell amusing stories about and for adults. PG-13 is the most profitable rating overall, but some films go the "extra mile" for their target audience - which is not youths. Having studied film extensively, there were critics who attacked even classic films for content. Was "Ben Hur" too violent? Should "Gone with the Wind" have edited out racial terms and the "d" word? The envelope will always be pushed, and as we live in a free country - it should be. The same right that gives you and I the right to blog, go to church, and protest things we oppose publicly should also be granted to artists of any medium. I find it equally important though that parents step up and actually do their job so artistic freedom can be preserved AS WELL AS morality in youths. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete