Sunday, August 9, 2009

"Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus." - 2 Timothy 2:3

FILM REVIEW:

G. I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra South Korea Press Conference

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" is a stupid movie. If you get nothing else from this review, remember that fact. Now that being said, I enjoyed "G.I. Joe" immensely, and if you enjoyed the ads for the movie, you'll probably have fun too. The plot doesn't really matter, but there is a story about a pretty cool new weapon that is sold to the American army by an evil weapons dealer who double crosses the Americans and nobody can stop him aside from an elite force - you guessed it - the G.I. Joe's. 90% of the movie is one cool fight sequence after another. There are cool weapons, cool toys, cool cars, and cool chick fights - it appeals to everyone's inner 16 year-old boy. There is one half-way decent twist, but since the story is second to the action, it really doesn't matter.

"G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra", as a summer movie, delivers the goods. It is certainly not going to win any Oscars, but it's not trying to. Sienna Miller, a fine actress who plays one of the many characters in this film, said that none of the actors involved in this movie will be turning in their best acting work. When even the cast knows the movie is stupid, it's a good sign. It means they didn't make a movie for snobs - they made a movie to appeal to their target audience. Some movies like "Iron Man", "The Dark Knight", and "Watchmen" can appeal to both fans and critics, but "G.I. Joe" falls short. So while the critic in me wants to give this movie one star, and the 16 year-old in me wants to give this movie four stars, I'm going to settle in the middle giving "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" a **1/2 out of **** rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment