Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." - 2 Timothy 4:7

"I Survived a Japanese Game Show" is over. Twelve Americans made their way to Japan, not knowing what to expect other than the craziness that is "Majide." The group, of which I am proud to have been a part of, competed in some of the most insane games that man has ever concocted. After the dust settled at Toho Studios, a short, underestimated housewife from Bartlett, Illinois remained as the Majide champion. I want to send out my congrats to Cathy, the winner of season two. Cathy was a joy to live in the Majide guest house with, and brought tons of luck and skill to the Red Robots in weeks three and four. During the show, Cathy was selfless - teaching people on both teams stretches, wishing them well, and being a total class act. I also want to send out kudos to Linda. A total competitor through-and-through, and someone I am proud to call a friend - she came so close and should be totally proud of her accomplishments. I really hope to be in close touch with both of these incredible women in the future.

Speaking of incredible women, let's not forget within the first thirty minutes of tonight's episode, we lost Megan.
I was really sad to see that she was the next to depart the game. I was pulling for a Linda, Megan, Cathy final three. Megan is one of the most thoughtful people I know. She actually rescued my bib with my name on it (the one I wore in challenges) and had it framed. Cathy and Megan both hosted eight others at their homes in Chicago for our own reunion party. I personally may not have won the $250,000, but winning friendships with Cathy, Linda, and Megan is a GREAT consolation prize!

After Megan left, it only made sense for Linda and Cathy to root for Justin to win against Brent, as Brent was obviously the tougher physical competitor. Time and time again though, Majide has proven to be a game that isn't about strength, but about numerous other elements - coordination, flexibility, and a whole lot of luck.
This proved true as Justin was victorious and sent Brent home. Brent was a really nice guy. He slept a lot when not playing in the games - which I cannot fault him for as the whole process was exhausting. I wish him only the best. This brings us to the best moment in the finale for me. Watching Justin go home. Seriously. This has nothing to do with the fact he beat me in last week's episode. It has everything to do with the fact that he is a low-life drunk who was so rude to the Japanese people in tonight's episode that he can kiss his Rogaine endorsement deal goodbye. To add gasoline to the fire, Justin was constantly bashing on everyone in the house - not performance attacks, but personal attacks. I was so sick of him by the end of my time there, and it didn't get better when seeing the crybaby again in Chicago. Funny thing is, if Justin is remembered for anything, it will be a toss up between his rude comments in tonight's episode and the fact he looks 44 and is 22. I was going to be more civil but after tonight, I was just done with him.

So that wraps up season two of "I Survived a Japanese Game Show." Wow. It seems like just yesterday I was sending the following e-mail to the casting department at ABC:
Last winter, I was selected to be interviewed for the show "Million Dollar Password" on CBS, but my meeting was snowed out and I couldn't go to the reschedule date. I hope it was meant to be and you see the dynamic personality that I am that those casting folks saw. I am a Young Adult Librarian, which is an awesome job where I get to work with 5-12 graders from all walks of life. I have a Broadcasting degree from Southeastern University, and have won both student worker and production awards. On my own time, I love to play poker, watch television (The Amazing Race being my favorite show), and just hang with friends. I tend to be very principled - which some people would find annoying. I am a proud Christian, and I have never had a drop of alcohol and I only swear when I am really ticked off. You said to be brief, so in short, I will bring to the show both intense competitiveness and sheer entertainment - what more could you be looking for?
It seems like just yesterday I was on a plane, watching "Slumdog Millionaire", anxiously waiting for the plane to land in Japan to begin this great adventure. It seems like just yesterday that I was in the parking lot of a Japanese 7-11, getting miked for the first time, wondering what the heck I had gotten myself into. It seems like just yesterday the contestants crowned Megan the Majide Homecoming Queen in a pageant we held in the house. And it seems like just yesterday I saw myself on television for the first time and felt totally sick to my stomach. This chapter in my life closes now, but a new one will begin...tomorrow. Tonight I congratulate Cathy and celebrate her victory.

One last time...HAIIIIIIIIIIIII MAJIDE!!!



5 comments:

  1. First of all, Dan...I must say, it was so great watching you on the show.
    Secondly, I have enjoyed reading your blog and it has inspired my to begin blogging again, which is good. Very therapeutic!
    You are truly inspiring, Dan, and a great person. ^_^

    I am so happy that Cathy won, even though I was rooting for you. She seems like such a genuine person!

    I am sad to see the season end, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so lucky to have been a part of that amazing show! I can't imagine how much fun and how exciting it must have been to be over in Japan and doing wild and crazy stunts/games. And the people you got to spend it with, I mean I know there was drama and some unkind words tossed around between the people in the show, most of the words behind everyone's back of course, but I still think it looks like it was amazing. You did such a great job Dan, facing several elimination challenges, having to face so many punishments. Truly you did amazing. So did everyone really. It was sad that you lost, well it was sad each time someone lost at the end because you start to get closer with each other, even just watching the show at home you feel like a slight connection watching them have to go through each episode. I'm just in awe at how all of you did, you all are amazing people really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our whole family was rooting for you and missed you tonight. Thanks for a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna agree with Tim. You're a stong competitor and I was sad to see you go. But I was happy that Cathy won! She was really underestimated, and she ended up playing the perfect game: never went into elimination except for the finals, never lost a team game, and then ended up winning the whole thing.

    You're an amazing person who's inspired me to do lots of things (like return to blogging, and I kind of want to be more in touch with my faith). Keep on being who you are, and never stop believing in yourself. :).

    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how they get the ideas of some of the games on Majide and I wonder if any of the staff like Rome or any of the camera crew or anyone has actually tried some of those games.

    Anyway it was great watching all of this year's contestants fight to survive in this show. I'm glad to have the pleasure in watching you on the Television screen go through lotion and then splattered milk and much other things. I'm glad Cathy won though also mostly because I live so close to Bartlett, Illinois. Go Chicago Suburbs!
    Though I always rooted for either you or Bobaloo to win I enjoyed watching all the same and I always will think, "Maybe the staff of Majide should try some of the punishments and games and get a taste of their medicine."
    Well thanks for a great season. Maybe if the staff of I Survived a Game Show read this they will think of being Sumo Servants for a day. Wouldn't that be a thought?

    So thanks!
    *Katy* from "Oh my Katy" Blog

    ReplyDelete