Saturday, August 1, 2009

"Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted." - Psalm 25:16


FILM REVIEW:
summer movie
"(500) Days of Summer" is an excellent movie. An excellent movie if you are an optimist. An excellent movie if you are a romantic. An excellent movie if you can suspend reality for an hour and a half, and be taken on an off-beat journey that avoids every preconceived notion of what a romantic comedy should be. From the very beginning, we learn that Summer (Zooey Deschanel) and Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) are characters that are not supposed to have a happy ending. The two are in lust, maybe in love, and maybe just using the other to learn about themselves. Tom is dedicated to Summer, and Summer is dedicated to herself. The frustrations and joys of their offbeat relationship are played out over the course of numerous "days" - and not in chronological order. When you can go from a musical number to a sad elevator ride in a matter of seconds, you know the movie you're watching is unique.

I won't spoil the ending, but I want to say it's perfect. Just when you think a good movie is going to go bad in the last act, this one took a turn that had me smiling and leaving the theater on a high-note. If you haven't seen one of my favorite movies of all time, The Graduate, I would suggest seeing it before going to this movie as it plays a really pivotal underlying part in the story.

On a technical end, the movie is edited and directed brilliantly. One of my favorite sequences involves a split-screen of reality vs. expectations during a dinner party. It's incredibly smart, and I would almost want to watch a whole movie in that style. Deschanel and Gordon-Levitt are an extremely likable duo, and both give pitch-perfect performances. The supporting cast does a solid job - the writers crafted the screenplay brilliantly; not letting annoying supporting characters get in the way as they do in so many comedies. I also think the soundtrack will be a sleeper hit - from Regina Spektor to Hall & Oates, the music is a really big part of the movie. This was number one on my "Five Films To See This Summer" list, and it did not disappoint. I would watch this movie again and again - sure to be one of the year's best. Four stars out of four.

3 comments:

  1. If you had a choice between movies which would you see- I Love You, Beth Cooper or Paper Heart?

    Thanks!!

    K.A.T.Y. from Oh my Katy

    Check out my blog!!! http://www.ohmykaty.blogspot.com

    Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper Heart - hands down. I cannot wait for that movie to be released (select cities this August) and it's movie #4 on my "Five Movies to See This Summer" list. "I Love You Beth Cooper" was sort of a boring book in my opinion, and based off of word of mouth and critical feedback, it's a real clunker. On the flip side, Paper Heart currently has a 100% critical approval rating on www.rottentomatoes.com. Thanks for reading! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review Dan!

    I want to see this movie, but, unfortunately, it is not screening in Iowa (yet).

    A brush-up on Katy's comment: I want to see both of the movies she mentioned, but so far I haven't been able to get to a theater or to get money to go see a movie (that may change).

    I did post a review of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" on my blog if you would like to take a read: http://livininalonelyworld8908.blogspot.com/2009/07/hes-got-me-like-nobody.html

    And if I see any other movies anytime soon I will post my reviews!

    Peace out,
    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete