Wednesday, August 12, 2009

"He is able to deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray, since he himself is subject to weakness." - Hebrews 5:12

I thought today I would blog about the websites that are in my daily surfing routine. If blogging is a selfish act like recently discussed, than I want to prove those critics wrong. I want to share these sites with you - thus steering you away from my blog and onto places that I enjoy. Many of them are very popular, so they will come as nothing new. So here are my top ten favorite websites, in alphabetical order.

1. Amazon.com's Deal of the Day Page CLICK HERE
Now I love Amazon.com as much as the next guy, but seriously, their "Deal of the Day"/"Gold Box" page is incredible. When I wake up every morning, it's literally the first website that I check before I even get out of bed. If you aren't an avid Amazonite, basically every day the biggest online retailer chooses one item and marks it way down. Some days the bargains are incredible - others not so much - but it's always worth checking. To the right of the DOTD, there are "Lightning Deals" - specials that last only a matter of hours. I must visit this page a half a dozen times a day, and I usually get something from it at least once a month. It's a great way to save money and get some really cool stuff!

2. Facebook CLICK HERE
So if you haven't heard of Facebook you obviously live under a rock and are on my blog by sheer accident. Seriously, I love the site though - I won't lie. I probably spend more time on Facebook than any other website. My favorite application is Flixster - it lets me keep track of all of my movie reviews and see what my friends are watching - it's great.

3. G-Mail CLICK HERE
I have e-mail accounts with Juno, Hotmail, Yahoo!, and G-Mail, and the e-mail service from Google remains my favorite. For one, it interacts very nicely with Blogger, which makes updating this very blog quite simple. There is also a ton of free space, a nice set of layouts (mountains are my choice) and it's not crowded with too much info like Yahoo! mail.

4. Hulu CLICK HERE
Whoever invented Hulu obviously hates the human race. I love that the ads for the company are depicting aliens using Hulu to take over the world as it dumbs humans down. What Hulu does is provides hours upon hours of free tv shows and movies to watch legally from your computer. From old classics to new reality shows (I Survived a Japanese Game Show included!), there is something for everyone to get addicted to.

5. IMDB CLICK HERE
IMDB stands for The Internet Movie Database. It's a great site for entertainment lovers as it provides information on all movies and television shows. It is the end all of online entertainment technical info, and also provides fun facts, award history, and actor/actress biographies among other features. I also love the fact that my initials are DB, so I'MDB...get it...haha...cheesy, I know. Love the site though - check it out.

6. Lee's Movie Info CLICK HERE
Lee's Movie Info is a box office tracking website that also has up to date film reviews and polls. I check it every Sunday afternoon to see which movies did well that weekend. While I am not a big fan of the critics who write for the site, the numerical information and tools that go along with it are a movie junkie's dream. Like you can compare how two movies did side by side - so if you want to see if "The Return of the King" made more than "Iron Man" for instance, you can line them up and examine trends in their box office grosses week to week. It sounds geeky, and it might be a little, but it's addicting!

7. PicApp CLICK HERE
I love sites like PicApp which provide me with free quality clipart. I am one of those people who never downloads anything illegally - I just hate online theft. This database provides entertainment and media pictures I can use free of charge in this blog. Most of the pictures I post are from PicApp, and if you write a blog or anything online for that matter, this is a great resource.

8. Rotten Tomatoes CLICK HERE
This is my favorite movie website of them all. What RT does is compiles all the accredited film critics movie scores and generates one rating. Before you go to see any movie, you should check this site. Now, I don't always agree with one or two or even a dozen critics - but that's the beauty of this site - it compiles TONS of critics, not just one or two regional ones. I know people where I work who judge whether or not to see a movie on what our local critic has to say - which is silly, as that is just one person. Getting the overall feel is a lot more helpful. The site also has a great news ticker and some interesting interviews with celebs. Check it out.

9. SPLAT Blog CLICK HERE
The blog for SPLAT, which stands for Shrewsbury Public Library Advisory Team, is near and dear to my heart...because I update it. It's boring for you most likely. Boring unless you live in Shrewsbury and are or are related to a teen, then you should check it out. The blog talks about teen events that I am running at the library. I am nowhere near as loyal an updater to that blog as I am this one, but oh well.

10. YouTube CLICK HERE
This is another "of course you go there" site, but I couldn't leave it off. From funny animated shorts to friends v-logs, I cannot stay away. I am on the site every day for one thing or another. Here is one video you should watch if you haven't already - the star of it might look familiar - it's one of my all time favorites:

4 comments:

  1. I regularly visit:

    Facebook (favorite app is "The Heist", plus I talk to my friend Emily)
    Archuletafans.com
    Ebertandroeper.tv (to watch the movie reviews)
    IMDb (and I loved your little corny joke)
    Yahoo.com (I have email there)
    Live.com (have email there too)
    Twitter
    Youtube (I have some vlogs, song covers and some slideshows on my account)
    And, of course, my blog where I write rants, tell stories about my past, and basically tell my thoughts on life. And you know where to find that! Just click on my name and it'll lead you to it.

    ***-Lily-***

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMW Dan....I LOVE YOU for posting this! LOL....miss you soo much, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good picks. I also love IMDB and You Tube. I use them in combination with Wikipedia. So if I like a certain actress can look up her biography and tons of general info about her on Wiki, then head over to IMDB and do some browsing of what movies she is in, and who her co-stars are, and then watch the trailers on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete