Saturday, August 8, 2009

"Tell this rebellious house a parable and say to them: 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says: " 'Put on the cooking pot; put it on and pour water into it." - Ezekiel 24:3

FILM REVIEWS:


Funny People PremiereMOVIE-<span class=

Last weekend I saw the movie "Funny People" and last night I saw the movie "Julie & Julia" - both movies have similarities, so I felt reviewing them at the same time wasn't a cop-out, but instead a time saving measure on both my part and yours. Each film revolves around people who are not satisfied with their lives. In "Funny People", Adam Sandler gives a great performance as a miserable man. Part of me wonders how semi-autobiographical the film is in contrast with his own life. In "Julie & Julia", Meryll Streep and Amy Adams both play women who are unsatisfied with just going through the motions of day-to-day life, and take on cooking as a means of quelling their boredom.

The lack of plot in both films is upsetting. Both have very strong casts, they both have solid direction, but as I am always one to commend good writing, this time, I think the screenwriters are to blame for wasting the talents of so many good performers. "Funny People" is too depressing for it's own right, and "Julie & Julia" is a bit boring. Both films outstay their welcome by at least a half an hour, and both end on an odd note which is far from uplifting. I've seen much worse movies this year. If you're looking to escape the summer heat, these aren't the worst way to spend $6 bucks. That being said, I cannot fully get behind either of these movies - so you're warned. I would give each **1/2 out of ****.

On a side note, one scene in "Julie & Julia" talks about people that blog. They describe them as self-centered and a few other far from flattering terms. I just found that funny, and I assure you it has nothing to do with why I gave the movie a far from stellar review. Peace!

1 comment:

  1. My mom and grandma saw "Julie and Julia" yesterday. They said that the ending was a bit melancholy, but that the rest of the film was good.

    And I saw "The Ugly Truth" yesterday, and gave my review. If you would like to read that, go to my blog (just click on my name).

    Another movie I want to see is "The Time-Traveler's Wife". My mom has wanted to read the book the movie is based on. That comes out next weekend and I am going to use it as my last hurrah before school starts by trying to go see it. Have you heard about that movie, and if so, does it sound good?

    ReplyDelete